That's me on an early training run in Byron Bay when I weighed over 100 kg.

Monday, July 29, 2013

First Running Race in over 25 years

Yesterday I completed my first running race in over 25 years. It was the Fremantle 5K Fun Run. The last run I did was the Perth City to Surf, so it was nice to return to Western Australia for this milestone.




I am in Western Australia to catch up with old friends. I attended an Old Boy's reunion on Friday night and on Saturday night, a friend's birthday drinks. So I wasn't exactly in top shape when I woke at dawn to walk the course to determine if the ground was smooth enough to run pure barefoot. It wasn't. Parts of the course were very rough and hurt to walk on, so I donned my Xero's for the race.

Although all I aimed to do was finish without stopping, I found myself trying to keep pace with the main pack and in the first kilometer actually overtook a few people. At the 2km mark my weekend indulgences started making me feel a bit queasy and I slowed down again until this feeling subsided.

I crossed the finish line in 28: 58 minutes and came 5th in my category, which I was elated with.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here: